It has been a constant slide for Sri Lankan cricket since last 5-6 years.The era post the exit of S Jayasurya, K Sangakkara, TM Dilshan, M Muralitharan and few other established cricketers failed to produce any suitable replacements of the stalwarts.
Today, the team looks shattered. Someone has to lead the team well and show them the light.
Here are FIVE main drawbacks of present day teams (all formats).
- No Confident Captain. Angelo Mathews was a bright all rounder Captain but inconsistency pulled him down. Makeshift arrangements are detrimental to morale of team.
- Lack of Specialist Batsmen. Except U Tharanga and M Sriwardene there are no Specialist Batsmen in team. Only 2-4 Batsmen have been tried out against India in ongoing series.
- Far Too Many All-rounders. Playing 5-6 inconsistent all-rounders in every match defies logic. Only 2-3 well traveling in form all-rounders be inducted in team and played in a few series to boost their confidence. Only T Perera appears to be a good all rounder.
- Lack of Spinners. There is a draught of genuine Spinners to trouble opposing Batsmen. No good replacement of legendary M Muralitharan. R Herath is post his prime and needs to be rested. Sandokan is a promising find.
- No Sting in Pace Bowling. D Chameera, N Pradeep, Fernando and company are average bowlers. There is a need to find bowlers who can swing the ball both ways.
It is an uphill and arduous task to restore Sri Lankan cricket to past glory. This may take a few years. One must take lessons from the past and build up a promising team. Good Luck.