KKR notched up a formidable 187/5 in allotted 20 overs. Their dreams of winning the match against MI were shattered by great batting display courtesy Rohit Sharma (84 not out).and lusty hitting by J Buttler.
Here are the reasons for defeat of KKR;-
- Failure of Bowlers. A Russel (52 runs in 4 overs), J Hastings (31 runs in 4 overs) never bowled good line and length. Spinners too could not curtail the run rate. All bowlers were expensive- P Chawla- 29 runs in 3.1 overs, B Hogg- 37 runs in 4 overs, K Yadav- 37 runs in 4 overs.
- Not Using All Bowlers. Gambhir should have used a ploy to unsettle R Sharma by bringing in Y Pathan- he has bowled in all previous IPL matches.
- Over dependence on A Russel. Should have been rested after being battered in his first two overs.
- Not Using All Bowlers- Why C Munroe was not used for bowling?
- Poor Captaincy. Field setting was never attacking.
- Good Aggression. By MI batsmen. They pressed the accelerator right from the first ball. Good strategy.
KKR has a good team but Gambhir must utilize his resources correctly.