United States Open Tennis Championship is conducted every year starting on last Monday of August and lasting for two weeks into September. It is a Grand Slam major, fourth one after, Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon.
Here are some more interesting facts about this Championship.
- Started as a hard court tennis tournament.
- First men’s singles contested in 1881.
- Played on acrylic hard court since 1978.
- Total five event championships: men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.
- Collections out of tickets sold is used for promotion of tennis in US.
The rules have undergone many changes since inception of this tournament. The standard of tennis has also improved over the years.
US Open 2015 is currently under progress.