As predicted in my earlier post on the outcome of 1st Cricket Test Mach between New Zealand and India, The Black Caps are in the driver’s seat on Day 2 at Kanpur.
Earlier in the day, Indian innings folded at 310 in 97 overs. M Vijay 65 and C Pujara with 62 were the top scorers. For the Kiwis, T Boult and M Santner rattled 3 wkts each.
New Zealand began the run chase well and were 152/1 in 48 overs when the play was stopped due to rain. T Latham with 56 and K Williamson with 65 runs are holding Indian bowlers at bay. Indian pacers (M Shami and U Yadav) looked average and spinners (R Jadeja and R Ashwin) were ineffective.
With a strong batting line up, Kiwis are all set to go past 400 runs.
- Indian spinners need to raise their standard and bowl well to restrict NZ under 300 runs.
- In case NZ score 400 runs, India will have to bat well in second innings to save the match/force a draw.
- In case India lifts game in second innings and gains a lead of say 250 runs, things could be difficult for NZ on a turning wicket on last day.
- Win for India is a remote possibility- need to bowl ot NZ cheaply in their second innings.
- Now, the key to the match is in the hands of Rain gods.
- The match could end in a draw if rain continues to disupt play.
- As of now, the game is tilted in favor of NZ
Wrong selection of India Team
- Instead of U Yadan, I Shama should have been played. He is the best in tests.
- Exclusion of A Mishra, leg spinner was a blunder.
- S Dhawan should have opened innings with S Dhawan.
- L Rahul should have been played as a wicket keeper instead of W Saha.
Likely Winner- New Zealand
Anything can happen in cricket because it is a game of glorious uncertainties.
Good luck both teams.